By Maureen Fan
Washington Post Foreign Service
Tuesday, September 18, 2007; 5:06 PM
BEIJING, Sept. 18 — China scrambled to respond Tuesday to an outbreak of bird flu among ducks in the southern city of Guangzhou. But as officials sought to reassure the public, there were signs that China was reluctant to release details about a possible health threat.
The outbreak in Guangzhou’s Panyu district is the first outbreak of H5N1 bird flu since May, but it has been brought under control, the Agriculture Ministry said. The ministry’s Web site said 36,130 ducks had been culled; other media reports suggested more than double that number had been killed.