India to track down those responsible for the Mumbai attacks but declined to respond immediately to a demand that it hand over 20 terrorist suspects.offered Tuesday to work hand-in-hand with
suggested setting up a “joint investigation mechanism” into the assaults, which left 188 dead.
As tensions mounted between the nuclear-armed neighbours over the siege of India’s financial capital, India demanded that Pakistan arrest and extradite the list of terror suspects.
But Qureshi did not respond to the handover request.
Among the suspects was Hafiz Saeed, the founder of the militant group that has been accused of carrying out last week’s dramatic assault on Mumbai.
Pakistan’s prime minister said his government wanted proof of India’s allegation that all the attackers were Pakistanis.
CNN and other US networks reported that the United States had warned India in October hotels and business centres in Mumbai would be targeted by attackers coming from the sea.
One US intelligence official had named the Taj Mahal hotel, one of 10 sites hit in the 60-hour siege by gunmen, as a specific target, ABC television said.